For the better management of the organization, it is necessary to appoint the perfect manager for the job. A weak or incompetent manager can lead to disorganization, lack of dedication in employees and unmotivated team members. Therefore, a proper succession planning is crucial for the growth of the company.
Issues that arise during the promotion:
- The high performers are not ready to manage the organization.
- The team shall not work appropriately if one of the members is promoted.
- A difficulty arises while spotting a potential manager.
- The management can find no worthy candidate for the post of manager.
Succession Planning Process
This process helps to identify and appoint the perfect employee for the post of a manager. The process is divided into four steps identification, creation of path for promotion, preparing the future leaders, and coaching them.
Identifying the High Potential Managers
Take note of all the possible future managers. Identify their skills and tendencies so that they can become the perfect manager for the company. There are some attributes that will help to complete the list.
- Organized and Focused: If the person is good at juggling various responsibilities and can prioritize the tasks while staying focused towards the goal of an organization, then these are the traits of successful managers.
- Interpersonal Abilities: If the person has strong interpersonal relationships with other employees and is good at delegating the work, then he/she can be a successful manager.
- Communicator: If the person is an effective communicator and can influence people and also clearly and concisely communicate the message, then this part is crucial. The person must also have good listening skills to become a successful manager.
- Initiative and Action Taking Skills: Potential managers must stay motivated and take initiatives to complete the tasks on time. They must also be prompt in taking action.
- Grittiness: A manager needs to face a lot of difficulties every day. He needs to oversee multiple people every day and try and meet their needs. Therefore they need to be gritty to find solutions to everyone’s problem and not succumb to the issues.
Create a Path for Future
After identifying the potential manager, it is necessary to create a path for them to follow. The management needs to give their future managers a concrete path to achieve the organizational goal.
Prepare Future Leaders by Providing Management Training Tools
After identifying the future manager and creating the path to achieve the goal, it is necessary to provide the managers with management training tools to achieve the goal efficiently.
Coach Them to Success
The final step is to give the managers the real-world experience and coach them through their professional development. For coaching them the management can provide them with different workforce responsibilities and train them accordingly.
All these four steps are the four pages of the succession planning process and the management must properly fill them for selecting the most appropriate manager. The upper management must also work towards getting the positive result from the for making the plan successful.